Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tourism Kyrgyzstan: The only way to go

This blog entry is as selfish as a blog entry gets and might possibly ruffle a few feathers, but I’m gonna say what I need to say and anybody who doesn’t like it can just get over it. Okay, now that that’s done: Would somebody please come see me in Kyrgyzstan? It’s really nice, I promise you that. Since all that college taught me to defend a position, here I go:

First, if you came you would have a free tour guide who not only speaks the language of the people and knows the terrain pretty well; you would get a man who understands Americans and your needs. This well connected tour guide could take you all over the country, introduce you to people who live in the areas we would visit, and help you understand the culture from an insider’s perspective. I’d like to see some cruise beat that.

Second, you would be coming to the Switzerland of Central Asia (so it’s called). The scenery is breathtaking. The country is dominated by the Tien Shan mountain range that gives way to sweeping jailoos (pastures) that lay above the tree line and are assured to dazzle. Several mountain lakes are completely untouched by development and require a horseback ride or hike to get to them. The Kyrgyz are a people of the mountains and the mountains are sure to impress.

Third, Issyk Kul. This beautiful lake is a well developed, tourist area with completely Western amenities. Though a little (err, lot) touristy, it offers everything anyone who wants to just lie on the beach could possibly want: sand, sun, Russian girls. Only 3 hours from the airport, this destination is worth the trip in and of itself.

Lastly, I really want people to come see me and where I live. Everybody goes to Europe. Where’s the adventure in that? Everybody knows about castles and all that boring shit, but who comes to Central Asia, the land that time forgot? I make you this promise: shirdak from your adventure to Kyrgyzstan will be a whole hell of a lot more interesting than some stupid figurine of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. C’mon, live a little!

If none of that convinced you, I do have a compromise. Next spring (2009), I am planning a trip to Istanbul, Turkey. I am very flexible about dates and I think it will be an awesome time. Kyrgyz and Turk are both of the same language family and other volunteers have told me that they are so similar that you swear you know everything people are saying. Just throwing it out there. You might not get a chance like this e’er again.

Picture of shirdak display in our store:

No comments: