Sunday, March 16, 2008

Six Month Update

Well, hello again everybody. As I seem to do every 5 blogs or so, I want to apologize for the long delay between blog posts. I’ve been going through some tough times here over the winter and blog-land wasn’t always on the top of my priority list. That and the internet just breaks down for weeks at a time here and I haven’t been to Bishkek since the end of January. With all that apologizing out of the way, let’s get down to business!

1. I have successfully completed 32.17% (37 of 115 weeks) of my term in Kyrgyzstan and am at the 25% mark for service. At this pace, I will be back in the States in no time. From what I understand, however, I won’t be able to get a loan, a car, or an apartment, so I might just stay here for a little while longer…

2. I officially, according to my last Language Proficiency Interview, speak Advanced Low Kyrgyz. I have the ability to tell cab drivers that I am not stupid and the necessary words to convince a drunk man that I am not a tree (guess which one I’ve used more. You might be surprised.) That’s a resume booster if I’ve ever heard one.

3. Amazingly enough, we have only lost four volunteers since last update, bringing our K-15 group to 41 members. Sadly, Lorenzo, a fellow Arizonan and Kochkorite, was transferred to Karakol after a little incident with his family. He’s only a few hours away, but it still hurts to lose a local.

4. Money situation is still the same: I don’t make much, but I am definitely comfortable. I save up a little money and am going to buy a shirdak with the Peace Corps emblem in the center. I am very excited, since this little purchase will cost about one month’s pay. No other exciting purchases, unless you count my awesome new Texas Longhorns sweatshirt. It was either that or Notre Dame and I couldn’t let Erin McFee across the street have the satisfaction.

5. I have still not been the victim of any crime, except for getting ripped off every time I take a taxi anywhere. The drivers always assume you have extra money because you are not Kyrgyz. My new strategy: ask for the price of a taxi whenever I walk by, even if I’m just going to work. When they give me a high price, I just walk away. Hopefully, by the time I need a taxi, they’ll know that I mean business.

6. My family has 4 cows, 9 sheep, 4 lambs, and 1 cat. Everybody is cool except for the ugly lamb (I call him Yoda) and all the sheep. I seriously don’t get what their deal is. Every time I go to the bathroom, they start baahing at me like they want me to do something. I named one of the cows Herbert. He lets me pet him and we are friends.

7. I still have not thrown up in country yet. I have come to believe that my system has gotten to the point where it can handle almost anything. I eat a lot of potatoes and noodles, with the occasional beet thrown in. I cannot put into words how excited I am that spring and fresh vegetables are so close. I saw tomatoes in the market yesterday, but they were 150 som/kg. To give you an idea, I give myself an allowance of 300 som a week. In a few months, they will be less than 30 som.

8. I’ve celebrated quite a few holidays since the last update. New Year’s was a pretty huge deal. International Women’s Day was on the 8th of March. It was great to honor all of the country’s women by making them cook a huge feast for us men and then clean up after us. Noros is on March 21 and I will be sure to share that experience. Two of my host brothers and my Apa celebrated birthdays in January as well. I don’t remember Nurdin’s too well. Those 22nd birthdays can really fly by.

9. I’ve been told approximately 3,879 times that I should marry a Kyrgyz woman before I leave. It is actually pretty funny how important it is to be married. First question: “Where are you from?” Second question: “What is your name?” Third question: “Are you married?” Fourth question: “Would you like to come to my house for tea and meet my daughter?” I used to be very flattered by the whole thing, until someone informed me that the man paid a dowry for the right to marry his bride in this country and the parents just assumed I have money. Once I explain that I actually owe the federal government more money than they can imagine, the leave me alone. Maybe by the time I leave, I’ll start thinking about it…

10. I am still reading quite fervently. My most recent triumph was Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I thought it was a great book. The narrative was pretty interesting and there is enough modern history to keep you guessing through the first half of the book and the second half really builds sympathy for a confused protagonist. Plenty of sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll to boot (actually, none of the three, unless you count an obscure reference to Morris Day and the Time).

No comments: