Monday, May 19, 2008

Shirdaks!

As most of you know, I work for a handicraft’s cooperative here in Kyrgyzstan which focuses primarily on the creation of shirdaks. I realized the other day when I was going through my previous blog entries that I have yet to dedicate an entire post to shirdaks and that such a travesty cannot stand uncorrected. Thus, get excited to enter the fascinating world of felt!

Shirdaks are, simply put, felt rugs and are perhaps the oldest and most traditional craft still produced in Kyrgyzstan. Due to the large number of sheep and a nomadic heritage that is not conducive to cotton growing, felt is the primary material used in traditional handicrafts within the country. Felt, which is made out of compacted sheep’s wool, is the primary ingredient in any real shirdak.

But how are they made, you ask? The process is quite simple, really. Once the sheep has been shaved and its wool pressed into felt (and possibly dyed), the master cuts it into an ornate pattern and then sows the design onto a larger, uncut piece of felt. After several hours of intense sowing and intricate stitching, a border is usually added to give some balance and depth to the piece.

Shirdaks come in all shapes and sizes. Originally, they were designed to cover the floor of the “yurt,” or portable home of the nomadic Kyrgyz. “Sadushkas” are roughly 50cm x 50cm (20x20 in) and are designed as seat covers. Giant, room size shirdaks can be up to 10m2. I have one in my room that is roughly 3m2. The felt design allowed for maximum heat storage during the cold winters of the old times. Today, they are more for decoration, but still hold a sacred place in the hearts of the Kyrgyz people.

And now the sales pitch: Where can you get one of these amazing items? Well, the best, most authentic shirdaks money can buy are for sale through my host organization, Altyn Kol (literally translated as “Golden Hands”). All of our shirdaks are made of 100% wool and are handmade by women in Kyrgyzstan. Roughly 70% of the sale price goes directly to the artisan, significantly higher than Fair Trade prices. If you are interested, click here to learn more and see what exactly you are missing.

Alright, got that done. I have to admit I have learned more about sowing and the processes involved in felt production than I ever thought possible. I remember when I joined Peace Corps they said I would learn practical skills that would make me extremely competitive in the current job market. I just hope carpet making is as big in the US as it is here.

1 comment:

SBaas said...

I believe you dropped the link. Click where? Also, how's about a picture of your Shirdak. I'm redecorating----you never know where I might need a Shirdak.

Love ya' Mom