Thursday, April 24, 2008

Me, the Older Brother

I had never been an older brother until I moved to Kyrgyzstan. Certainly, I had dealt with my share (believe me, one is enough), but I had never been in that “first among peers” position. I can’t say I ever wanted the extra attention and responsibility that comes along with being the elder, but now that I have attained it, I am enjoying it. In Kochkor, I have three younger brothers. I you include the younger brother and sister I have in my training village of Kenesh, I actually have 5 younger siblings. If you add up all those siblings, I have almost three and a half years of “older brothering” under my belt. With that in mind, I thought I would compare myself to the one older brother I know in a few select categories. Justin, I’m sorry.
1. Looks. I think we really know who wins here. Mom once summed it up nicely by saying, “Jonathan got the looks and Justin got born first.” Advantage: Jonathan
2. Smarts. They are really going to be disappointed when they find out I am not nearly as smart as they think I am. Right now, I think the younglings assume language is the reason I don’t seem so clever. Little do they know, it is my lack of cleverness that makes that so. Still…Advantage: Jonathan
3. Car. The “Fun Justy” that he had in high school is kinda like an ugly cousin: the family can make fun of it, but we will fight anyone who mentions a bad word about her. That and Peace Corps regulations don’t allow me to own or operate a motor vehicle. Advantage: Justin
4. Willingness to help. Well, I’m in the Peace Corps, so I think I win by default. He never flew half way around the world for me. Just saying. Advantage: Jonathan
5. Mastery of common language. This one I have to give to Justin. Though he did grow up during the 80’s, he has a pretty solid grip on English. Most of my conversations don’t get much past “Who farted?” with my brothers here. (“Kim usurdu?” in Kyrgyz, for those interested). Advantage: Justin
6. Willingness to read younger sibling’s blog. Though none of the youngsters here have blogs, I’m pretty sure I would go out of my way to read them if they had them, even with the poor internet accessibility. Justin’s younger brother has a blog and I’m pretty sure Justin doesn’t read it, hence the entire article devoted to making fun of him. Advantage(in more ways than one): Jonathan
7. Job. While in high school, Justin worked at fast food places. I really could not think of a better place for an older brother to work until he got the gig at the bowling alley. Currently, I work at a sowing cooperative that primarily makes carpets. Thrilling, I know. Advantage: Justin
8. Providing of nieces/nephews. Admittedly, I am behind the curve here, but just slightly. I could catch up by the end of service, but that probably wouldn’t be in anybody’s best interests. And Justin’s kids are fuckin’ awesome. I think that is really Sam’s fault, but I guess it gets at least partial credit. Advantage: Justin
9. Cool factor. Seriously, if you have ever met Justin, don’t even bother reading the rest of this segment. Even leaving that aside, I’m a freakin’ Peace Corps volunteer. That’s gotta put me pretty high on the cool list. Advantage: Jonathan
As you can see, it was a close race, but I squeak out a 5-4 victory. I’m sure the gap will widen as I gain more experience. He has a pretty substantial lead in that category, but it wasn’t enough here. By the way, if anybody wants to make fun of Justin, whether you know him or not, feel free to post things about him on the message board. Just don’t make fun of his mom. That wouldn’t be cool.

3 comments:

SBaas said...

Well, this is MOM and mom disclaims your comment and misquote. ""Mom once summed it up nicely by saying, “Jonathan got the looks and Justin got born first.”"
I know you are calling your brother out. But I remember a little kid who adored his big brother and constantly compared himself to and competed with his brother's accomplishments.
Some things never change :)
Love ya' both way more than you will ever know. MOM

Anonymous said...

Wow!!

I have always stated that jealousy can take many forms. This is just a form that I had not seen yet.

For the record, I read your blog daily (even the extended period where you posted nothing). Check your facts "young one."

Remember that there is a difference between "smart" and "educated." You studied in college and high school much stronger than I did, but I will still whip your ass in comprehension and analysis.

Being cool is relative. Remember people think that Billy Ray Cyrus is cool.

We will have to push on looks. Remember that I was offered a modeling job; what about you??

Willingness to help. Since when did this have to be judged on the basis of distance traveled? Does effort in someone's community not count? What about all of the people at my company that I mentor and teach?

To be honest J. Michael, after reading your little tirade, it appears that you don't truly understand what being a big brother is about.

I have always been there for you, but I have always made sure that I stood on the sidelines of your life so you could get all the glory of your accomplishments. I have never failed to come to your aid when you have requested it.

I love you little brother....

Gecko7 said...

Hot diggity Dog! Let's move on to round 2.

Dad loves both also.