Sunday, April 20, 2008

Born a Ramblin' Man

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? I am sure there are very few people who would say Kyrgyzstan, including your humble author (and I actually like it here). The reason I ask is for a simple reason: I cannot stop thinking about where I am going to travel after I finish serving in the Peace Corps. On one fine day in September 2009, I am going to be given $6,000 and the cash equivalent of an airline ticket from Bishkek to Phoenix. After that, it is completely up to me what happens.
Now, I do have to save a few grand for “re-adjustment” to the United States. It will probably take a while to get a job and I’m sure the ol’ family will get tired of Jonathan after a while. I figure I will have $3,500 to get from Kochkor to Yuma, Arizona.
The big advantage of Kyrgyzstan is that whether I head east or west, I am heading home. Kochkor lies between the 75 and 76E longitudinal lines and 41 and 42N latitudinal line. If I stay on this side of the equator, I am 180 degrees away from Casper, Wyoming going west and 180 degrees from Eugene, Oregon going east. Either way, I end up in the (relatively) northwestern United States.
My first trip will be to India. I’m not sure why, but I really have a desire to see the subcontinent. I have heard so many positive things about it that I think I have to go. I will travel around and “do” India. After that, however, I am completely open to suggestion. Flying from Delhi, I can be to Europe or almost anywhere in the Pacific in one flight. I could go to Australia and New Zealand or Berlin and London. Tough call.
I could also go somewhere else and that is why I am writing about it now. I want to know what you think. If you have been on this side of the world, let me know what you think is worth doing? I have no time commitments (though I should be home for Thanksgiving, for Mom’s sake), but money is an object, though my living standards allow me to live comfortably on little. Respond to the blog or email me directly. These are the pictures you are going to have to look at when I get back, so you may as well want to see what is in them.
This question is open ended, so feel free to take time in responding. I speak decent English, moderate Kyrgyz, and functional German, but would be willing to pick up something else in order to travel to somewhere exotic. Also, if you have a couch that I could sleep on in the area you suggest, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the most beautiful place I've been was Greece...the most amazing sunsets and bluest waters, great food and wine (grapes are grown on the ground rather than on trellises so they soak up the volcanic minerals in the soil), active volcanoes...and some pretty attractive women.