Friday, June 6, 2008

Summer: The anti-inspiration

Though I know that summer does not officially start for a couple more weeks, things have taken on the tale tell signs of that glorious time of year here in Kochkor. The children are out of school and bugging me to know end (seriously, when I find the teacher who taught them the word “money,” I might do something very un-Peace Corpsesque). Tourists have started passing through town, asking questions that make one feel proud to live here (“Are there any flush toilets around here?”) and at the same time tired of the tourists themselves (“I don’t understand why they don’t just spend some money and build toilets.”). Best of all, the days have gotten much longer and the weather much nicer. My days are filled with sunshine and warm breezes. I don’t even mind all the newly appearing bugs.
With all that said, all I want to do is sit outside and read a book. The grass is so green I just have to lay in it while eating raspberries (we have them, but they are pricy). The last thing I want to do is go to work, be trapped in some building, trying to convince my co-workers that my ideas might actually help them. I never believed in that whole “Spring Fever” idea until now. I don’t know how many more 4 hour work days I can handle in this beautiful weather and its only going to get worse.
In about a week our summer interns will be arriving from Naryn and for some crazy reason I have committed myself to full, eight hour work days with these four young ladies. I still have no idea what exactly I was thinking, but I am regretting it already. In all seriousness, I am excited about their arrival. I am terribly anxious to be doing something truly productive at work. Being eye candy just gets old after a while.
With all of this talk, I would like to wish everyone who reads this a safe summer season. From what I hear, nobody will be driving anywhere due to gas prices, but remember that safety is just as important at home as it is on the road. As an end note, I would like to have some comments posted about this year’s “annoying summer song that you cannot get out of your head.” I believe last year’s was “Umbrella” by Rihanna (spelling?). Year before, I’m pretty sure Shakira won with “Hips Don’t Lie” (An awesome song. I tried to convince my brother Nurdin, age 22, that I would be marrying Shakira upon my completion of service. The reason he didn’t believe me? I don’t speak Spanish). Things don’t always translate straight over here, so I’m interested to hear what you guys are being tortured with over there.

No comments: