Sunday, April 20, 2008

Name that Cow!

Well, it has been over nine months in country and that means a few things. First, since no one has told me they have given birth to a child of mine, which means I am in the clear on that count. More importantly for the blog, however, is that people are probably getting bored and have stopped bothering with the site. I can’t say that I blame them. Sometimes I find my own entries extremely uninspired and lacking that needed pizzazz.
They say the only way to get out of a funk is to do something different and that is exactly what I am going to do. I have better access to regular internet now that a computer with a satellite connection has been hooked up. I can thus actually access blogger, put up pictures, and create links to pages of interest. All of this will take more work, but I really do need my ads to start making more money. It sounds like the economy is not doing too well over there.
In addition, I am starting a contest that will have real impact on the lives of over a half dozen people in my village and possibly even around the country. The contest is related to the cow pictured here. I am asking my faithful readers to name this cow. Submissions can be Kyrgyz or American names. A combination of the two would be acceptable. Judges will look for creativity, suitability, and humor in the names.
A little background on the calf is needed. This calf was born less than three weeks ago and still has no name. His mother has shown no interest in naming him, even after several requests by yours truly. The mother’s name is Stupid Cow. We have another cow, besides the mother and calf. Her name is Herbert. It isn’t ironic or anything, I just didn’t look close enough before naming her, but it works.
Preference will be given to attempts at Kyrgyz names, which will be explained now. It is common that Kyrgyz people name their children after certain characteristics or objects that they admire. My oldest brother is named Akylbek, meaning “the strength of intelligence.” Girls commonly have “gul” (flower) added to the end of their names, while boys have “bek” (strength). If you have an object or characteristic that you always wanted to name an animal, now is your chance!
Submission can be made by replying to this post, sending me an email directly, or calling. I would give you a set date that these are due, but I have a feeling that would only backfire on what may be my complete disaster of a blog. So, good luck and get those entries in!

8 comments:

Gecko7 said...

Calf name: Fresh meat! Steak on hoof! Tenderling!

SBaas said...

So that we don't have another Herbert, could you advise as to the gender of this nameless calf?

RSM said...

for a girl- cyttygul and a boy- taatybek, you know how they love to name their animals for characteristics they want to gain (i remember my language teacher's series of dogs were all named profit, but can't remember the word for profit)
but seriously, t and i love reading it and get homesick when we do
tell the ejes we love and miss them
r

Anonymous said...

Wow, 9 months is a big milestone! That calf is kind of like your new Kyrgyz rebirth or something, so maybe you should call it Yuma. My roommate Kristen is pushing for McNugget, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm also a big fan of Billy the Bluejay and, of course, Yong. Glad you enjoyed the care package!!

Anonymous said...

How about "Russell"?

Trent Milam said...

Dude, did you say you have access to satellite internet???!!!??? Where? Who?

Trent Milam said...

Oh yeah... name:
Booger

Anonymous said...

I know it's a bit late but what about "the sickening power of Jager." Jagerbek i think it would translate roughly in Kyrgyz.